Sahara (hooded seal) - Arrived on 2nd April 2007
Tamara and Maz left the Sanctuary on Sunday (1st April 2007) and travelled up to Gatwick airport to pick up a new visitor. Sahara is a hooded seal who was found malnourished and dehydrated in Morocco.

This seal normally found in the Arctic had wandered off course, and was luckily found by a couple of fisher men, who took him to a rescue centre.
Sahara, Hooded Seal
Sahara, Hooded Seal After four months of rehabilitation the seal has now been transferred to the Sanctuary for assessment to see if it is possible to release him. This will take a couple of months to assess. The journey to Cornwall was ok and he was kept cold with ice and water. On arriving at the Sanctuary, Sahara was reluctant to get out the cage and so we had to encourage him. After an hour he finally made his way in to the pool, only to be greeted by two other seals, Flotsam and Jetsam, who looked nothing like him. Click here to read Sahara's press release
Sahara - photo was taken on 26th May 2007 Update: 28th May 2007 - These photos of Sahara were taken in the common seal pool on 26th May 2007. Sahara - photo was taken on 26th May 2007
Update: 24th April 2010 - We are devastated to tell you all that ´Sahara´, our Hooded seal, has passed away. He was only 4 years old but had probably travelled more miles on more modes of transport then any seal we´ll ever know!

His health had never been what you would call ´perfect´. Rescued off the coast of Morrocco at 3 months old Sahara was completely bald and suffering from a lung infection. He was transferred to Gweek where he underwent his rehab and eventually grew back a full coat. Once ready for release he was fitted with a satellite tag and released off Orkney but unfortunately restranded a month later off the North coast of Spain, again suffering from a lung infection.

Sahara returned to Gweek as a resident and blood tests revealed he was suffering from hypothyroidism for which he began treatment for. Generally, his health was ok but suffered spells of ill health where he exhibited various symptoms for which he was treated. In the last 2 weeks Sahara had been on and off his food. Despite injections of long acting antibiotic over the past 2 weeks sadly Sahara passed away on Thursday 8th April 2010.

The preliminary post mortem report has found that abscess on the lung. Sahara´s amazing story inspired many people outside the sanctuary team and caught the imagination of people all over the world. So much has been learnt from Sahara and the adventures we have undertaken with him, but most of all, for all the team who adored him, it will be his fab, if a little confused, personality and individual ways that will be hugely missed.     Click here to read the press release.
Sahara 2006 - 2010