Another pup rescued from St Agnes in Cornwall

On the morning of 3rd of October 2005, Coordinator Dave Jarvis had a call from Jonathan Smith at the Cornwall Wildlife Trust´s Strandings Network about a grey seal pup at Trevaunance Cove, St Agnes. After loading the cage into the car and picking up Coordinator Tim Bain, Dave drove up to St Agnes to check on the pup, also calling upon Sussex Coordinator Sharon Gisby and Advanced Medic Stephen Marsh who happened to be down here at the time training at the National Seal Sanctuary.
The pup had been found by two of the BTCV volunteers (British Trust for Conservation Volunteers) who were doing a beach clean. They were being filmed by a news crew from Westcountry Live. The news crew filmed proceedings and interviewed Dave, while the pup was assessed to be a bit underweight, covered with bites, but the most obvious problem was a ruptured eye with yellow pus coming from it. Relaying the information to the Sanctuary, the pup was then uplifted and taken directly to Medic and expert seal veterinarian Paul Riley at his practice in Helston. Animal Care Assistant Marianne Fellows from the Sanctuary joined Dave and Tim at the practice, and helped with Paul´s assessment of the injured eye.
Tusker - Photo was taken by Dan Jarvis Tusker - Photo was taken by Dan Jarvis
Whilst there, Dave had a call from Animal Care Assistant Claire Baker at the Seal Sanctuary about another pup, a whitecoat this time, at Strangles beach, Crackington Haven, in the North of the County, which had been moved by a member of the public, therefore breaking the maternal bond. Dave called Sue White at Head Office to request mobilisation of Medics from the North Cornwall group. Also realising that by this time Sharon and Stephen would probably be near the Devon border on their way home to Sussex, Dave also contacted them to see if it would be possible to divert to this new incident, which they thankfully did.
Following on from the diagnosis from Paul, Dave and Tim then transported the animal now known as ´Tusker´ (the theme for seal names this year is alcoholic!), to the Sanctuary, where they were met by the Animal Care Team, and then collected a fresh cage and set off for Crackington Haven since the other Medics did not have any equipment. En route, they received a further message from the Sanctuary stating that the pup had now been allowed to go back into the water. Sue White advised that Medic Mike Buckingham had agreed to attend and had met up with Sharon and Stephen at the site. They searched the area, maintaining contact with Dave and Tim as they travelled to the site, and Stephen advised that he had seen a pup in the water, although possibly not the one that they were looking for.

Upon arrival, Dave and Tim relieved Sharon and Stephen so that they could continue back to Sussex, and remained there until 6pm until the tide turned, but without success.

Medic Dan Jarvis
BDMLR West Cornwall
(Newquay - Lands End - St Austell)
Date: 3rd October 2005